Monday, March 19, 2007

Shop (and eat) til you Drop

One of my colleagues was gracious enough to invite me to a local-style Singaporean dinner on Friday evening. "Hawker" shops are open food-courts with no a/c and many vendors selling various local dishes. We had hainanese chicken rice, bbq stingray, and an oyster omelet followed by shaved ice desserts with coconut milk and fruit toppings. All of these dishes are inexpensive - around $3-5 SD ($2-3 USD) and very tasty! I spent the rest of the weekend checking out different areas of Singapore using the MRT (mass rapid transit) which was very clean (of course!) and highly efficient. I love the subway, I wish we had a better public transportation system in San Jose. I visited Sentosa - Singapore's island resort where there are beaches, an underwater world, butterfly park, golf course, and many other activities suitable for a family on holiday. After exploring Sentosa, I walked around VivoCity which is one of the newest shopping complexes here. You would not believe the amount of shopping and eating to be had in this country. Everywhere you turn there are stores and places to eat. I also had the opportunity to go inside a Hindu temple, which was an interesting experience. It was neat to see the different statues and priests performing rituals/prayers. Tomorrow I'm off to Korea, but only for a day so I won't have time to do any sightseeing.

1 comment:

ThatBeeGirl said...

shopping and eating?! sounds like the perfect vacay!