Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Breathing Underwater

Benjamin and I are getting scuba certified through Diver Dan's (www.diverdans.com). The course is three weeks long, twice a week (classroom on Mon, pool on Wed). We will do our final test in Monterey in a couple weeks. Last week, during our first pool session, we learned how to assemble our BCD (buoyancy control device), put the tank on and all that good prep stuff. It took quite a while! We finally got in the water and started doing some basic skills like taking the regulator in and out of our mouths and clearing our masks. Breathing underwater is an awesome feeling! It took a while to get used to it though, especially since I've trained myself to be a nose breather with running. Anyway, we had our second pool course tonight. We learned how to breathe from our buddy's alternate air source, switch from snorkel to regulator, breathe without our masks on and take our masks on and off underwater. I was feeling pretty good up until we had to do a descent down the deep end. I started feeling like I couldn't breathe and was flailing around. I think I was freaking out...I used up quite a bit of my air during that exercise. Next time I need to relax and stay focused. I think I'll feel more comfortable with practice. Good thing my buddy Benjamin is in control. Although, he might be trading me in for a new buddy soon if I don't shape up!

1 comment:

ThatBeeGirl said...

I took a lesson once, it was a blast!