Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Miter Saw

First of all, thanks to my co-worker Kevin for letting me borrow his big fancy tools for my baseboards project and giving me a crash course on how to cut perfect 45 degree angles using the miter saw. Oh, and also for taking the time to come to Home Depot with me to pick up and transport the boards. :) OK...I admit that when I was first introduced to this saw, I was a little scared. Don't laugh - you have to remember that I am NOT a handy person by nature and tools (especially electric ones with sharp edges) are a foreign concept to me. While Kevin assured me I would be fine and it was easy to use, I was a bit skeptical. He made it sound and look so easy, but what do you expect coming from an engineer. After walking me through one sample, Kevin left and I was all alone in the garage. I think I just stood there and stared at the saw for a few minutes before snapping out of it. What were the instructions again? Was I supposed to use the left angled 45 degree cut for inside corners? Or was that for outside corners? Was I supposed to cut to the left or the right of the beam?

Cutting baseboards definitely requires trial and error. Let me emphasize the lots of error part. I figured out that it was really important to measure multiple times and to cut conservatively. After a few practice runs (and many trips downstairs to the garage), I finally got the hang of it. I became friends with the saw and was soon cutting boards like nobody's business. I was so excited when I put two pieces together on the wall and they actually fit!! Now I love the miter saw thingy so much I might just have to get one for myself....hmmm.

















2 comments:

Jeff Patton said...

you should let a TV crew come in and film your progress. i hear there are lots of other jobs on the way, this is just getting good!

Marcy said...

It looks like your shirt matches your purple walls! =P