Monday, October 09, 2006

13.1 down, 26.2 to go

I ran the San Jose Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon on Sunday as part of my "training" for the Nike Marathon which is coming up in a couple weeks. It was pretty fun, the course was very flat and took us through different parts of San Jose that I hadn't seen before. I finished in 2 hours and 10 minutes, not too shabby for such a slacker! My best half time is 2:08 - Santa Barbara, 2003 - when I was training quite vigorously. So of course, for better or worse (probably worse), Sunday's performance only validated my procrastination habits and "less is more" running mantra. Although I was relieved when I crossed the finish line, I had to supress the anxiety and pain that kept creeping into my head when I reminded myself that I'd only be halfway done at this point in a couple weeks. Thanks to my Benji for being our chauffeur for the day. :) The rest of the weekend was pretty calm, except for Saturday when I ate it going downhill on my new Craigslist mountain bike. Benjamin says my loose kickstand caused the crash, but I think he's just being nice. My first bike ride and I already have battle wounds, I'm getting old! On Saturday we celebrated Cyrus's birthday at Kyoto Palace where they cook your food in front of you with flare. Fun times!

2 comments:

ThatBeeGirl said...

I held one of those medals yesterday -- those suckers are deceptively heavy!
Way to go on your marathon skillz!

Anonymous said...

I have a scar on my knee from the time Zach convinced me, back in high school, that I should go mountain biking with him and his friend. Never mind that it had been YEARS since I'd been no a road bike, and probably had never been on a bike on a trail... I lasted about 10 minutes, fell, and then we went home.

I got all sorts of great pity from him about that though. I milked it! ; )