Sunday, July 09, 2006

Burning Rubber


I've always wanted to be a race car driver. Today, I got my chance....well, sort of. I took my Acura out for a little action at Thunderhill track in Willows which is about 90 miles north of Sacramento. I signed up for a novice/instructional course with NCRC (Northern California Racing Club). Benjamin races his motorcycle at Thunderhill, so he was able to give me pointers and prep me for track day. We started with a classroom course in the morning where I learned the basics and then we broke out into our 20 minute track sessions. I had a seasoned driver sitting in the passenger seat with me at all times. It was such a blast! The first few laps were pretty slow, trying to get a feel for the track and familiarize myself with the different turns (there are 15 of them). The sessions after were progressively better. I picked up speed, learned correct cornering techniques (brake, turn in, apex, exit) and started feeling more like Mario Andretti. It was such a fun experience, I'll definitely do it again! Photos courtesy of bkd photography











1 comment:

ThatBeeGirl said...

Omg, how fun!
I'd love to do something like that!