Monday, May 29, 2006

Venice the Menace

Our last stop in Italy was the sinking city of Venice which was about a four hour train ride from Florence. While it was probably our least favorite place, I'm glad we went so we can at least say we've been there. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible (or "ha-rrible" as Benjamin would say), but it was just a little too touristy and hard to find your way around. Most people who know me would say I'm directionally challenged, map-illiterate and an overall bad navigator. I agree. Venice was my worst nightmare, I felt like a mouse trapped in a maze. Good thing Benjamin has a good sense of direction! Water taxis/busses take you up and down the Grand Canal, but we mainly walked around on foot. Venice is known for their Murano blown glass, Burano lace, and carnival masks. We visited the Rialto Bridge, San Marco Square, Peggy Guggenheim's Modern Art collection and went on a gondola ride.

Some interesting facts about Venice:
1. Population is roughly 60,000
2. The city has over 100 churches
3. ...and over 400 bridges
4. It's a pedestrian only city - no cars, bikes, or scooters!










More pictures of Venice

No comments: